So you want to go to Hawaii and you’re looking for a cheap flight? Let me give you some tips on how to ensure you are getting the lowest price possible on your airplane tickets to Hawaii.
When buying airplane tickets to Hawaii you should expect to pay $600 to $900, possibly more even if you’re coming from the West Coast. If you are booking flights to Hawaii in the spring for the summer, then you may be able to get prices as low as $400 round trip. Sometimes Hawaiian Airlines has killer deals where you can get to Hawaii for $300 but that’s about as low as the price gets.
Money Saving Tips Specific to Hawaii Travel
1) Check Hawaiian Airlines for Ridiculously Cheap Flights
Sometimes Hawaiian Airlines has some insanely cheap rates from the West Coast to Hawaii. Hawaiian Airlines is aggressively expanding their roots so it might even be worth it to check even if you’re not on the West Coast.
2) Fly to Hawaii During the Off Seasons
Trips to Hawaii can often be significantly cheaper when flying during non-peak months. Fall( September, October, November) and Spring( March, April, May) can provide exceptionally cheap tickets to Hawaii. I’ve gotten tickets from the East Coast to Hawaii Round Trip for about $500 during these times. During the Winter many vacationers want to escape the cold and there is also the Triple Crown of Surfing in December which attracts large crowds. In the summer many people want to take their kids on vacation as they don’t have school. So try flying in the fall or the spring during the suggested months and you could save a ton.
3) Book Your Flight into Honolulu
Fly into Honolulu even if you’re going to an outer island (Maui, Kauai, Big Island (Hawaii)). Resist the urge to book direct to Kahului (Maui), Lihue (Kauai) or Kona/Hilo (Big Island). There are literally millions of people visiting Hawaii every year. Over the years more airline carriers have started servicing flights to Hawaii as its a very desirable destination. Take advantage of the competition to fill seats on flights to Honolulu. You can save a significant amount of money this way. Getting to Maui, Kauai, Big Island is quick, easy and cheap. There are a number of carriers you can get flights to these islands. Go! Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Mokulele Airlines, and Island Air can get you to the island you need to get to.
4) Use Orbitz, Expedia or Similar Online Travel Website.
All of these online travel portals use the same engine to generate prices for airplane ticket prices. Put in your travel dates, departure/arrival airports and this will bring up the fare compare screen and you’ll be able to see at a glance what you’ll be paying for different routings/airlines. With this search you have a ballpark figure for what you should expect to pay.
5) Look at your options with Orbitz/Expedia and Search the Airlines Website Directly You can sometimes save money by buying your airplane tickets directly from the airlines website. You’ll also save on booking fees that Orbitz/Expedia may charge you.
6) Check Farecast.com to see forecasts of airplane ticket prices in the future. Farecast.com is a really cool website that allows you to check a prediction of how airplane ticket prices will change overtime. This will help you get a better idea if whether or not ticket prices will change. This will make it easy for you to know if you should just buy now or wait for a bit to get a lower ticket price.
7) Look for flights on Tuesday, Wednesday, & Saturday), early morning/late night flights. Be Flexible on days to leave as well. Often flying during these off times can save you some money as others do not want to fly at these times. You can sometimes save substantial money by doing this.
By following these 7 tips, you’ll find it easier to get a cheap airplane ticket to Hawaii. You’ll save money on your airfare, leaving you more money to enjoy on your vacation.